Last week, I decided to be good and made a nice big pot of lentil stew. I followed the recipe to the letter, and it turned out, if I do say so myself, quite delicious.
There is a small quirk to my lentil stew though. You know how anti-freeze is crazy poisonous, but for some reason it tastes delicious to animals and babies, so they can mistakenly ingest it, not knowing that they are in fact slurping down poison? Yeah, so, under cooked lentils are also pretty poisonous. They have proteins that cannot be broken down and require a full, good hard boil to make them safe to eat.
Did you know that?
I didn’t know that. If the under cooking of a food could cause severe illness and food poisoning, don’t you think that should be general, common knowledge? You know, like how we all know you should’t eat raw cookie dough or lick your fingers after touching raw meat?
I didn’t under cook my lentils on purpose. As I said, I followed the directions exactly.
Luckily, I was the only one that ate it. Unluckily, it took two completely separate days of what felt like painful, near death illness, for me to put two and two together and realize what made me ill.
Abe had to stay home for half of the day today to help me take care of the babies because I was just too sick. Again.
Guess what I will never eat again? Did you say raw cookie dough? Naw, I would probably eat that, that stuff is delicious. But lentil anything? Oh my.
No. Just no.
I tend not to forgive things that make me violently ill. Did you read the caption under the lovely lentil photo at the top of this post? “To discourage seed predators, pulses contain trypsin inhibitors that interfere with digestion.”
Consider this “seed predator” discouraged!