Now that the kids are back in school and the fall season is in full swing, it’s that time of year when fall allergies seem to sneak up out of nowhere. This is no time to be weighted down and miserable with allergies! There are school projects due, apples to be picked, pumpkins to be carved! So this is the perfect season to refresh your home and your medicine cabinet arsenal.
Every time we start a deep cleaning in the house, no matter the month, my kids always ask me, “Is it spring cleaning day?” If your family suffers with allergies and even asthma like mine, then I’m sure you’re used to frequent “spring cleaning” as well.
Here are some Back to School Allergy Tips to help you prepare:
1. Be sure to have Children’s Claritin, the #1 pediatrician-recommended non-drowsy allergy brand, on hand!
2. Multi-vitamins are building blocks to having a strong immune system. Make taking a multi-vitamin part of your
child’s daily routine.
3. Let there be light! Mold doesn’t like sunlight, so try to keep your curtains open during the day. Should be easy
during the summer months!
4. Did you know that most pillows trap allergens, dust mites, and bacteria? Monitor the cleanliness of the pillow
your child with allergies sleeps on and replace if necessary.
5. Back to school season means lots of laundry for many moms. Be sure to remove laundry from the washing
machine promptly. Allowing wet clothes to sit in the washer means mold can quickly grow there.
6. Monitor pollen counts and adjust outdoor before and after school activities accordingly. Dry, windy days
can be particularly high in pollen.
7. Showering or bathing at the end of the day as opposed to the morning can be helpful in removing allergens
from body surfaces and hair.
8. Stay hydrated! Always send your child to school with a bottle of water. Drinking lots of clear fluids through the
day can help get rid of toxins and flush out body.
9. Peak pollen production typically occurs in early morning, so try to plan outside activities at other times of the
I think prevention is one of the biggest and best defenses when allergy season comes around. We regularly wash our pillows and sheets, and we definitely always keep Claritin in full supply. Other allergy medications, while effective, have a severe drowsy affect on everyone in our family, and with four kids with dance and scouts and school and friends……well, being sleepy is not an option!
Don’t forget to wash the pets too! When the pups are playing with you outside in the leaves and grass, they are also getting covered in pollen and other allergens. That’s on top of the already present pet dander that can aggravate allergies, especially when they are already present. This is the time of year it’s especially important to keep up the regular baths!
Be prepared this allergy season, it’s your best defense!
As a member of the Children’s Claritin Mom Crew, I receive product samples and promotional items to share and use as I see fit. No monetary compensation has taken place and any opinions expressed by me are honest and reflect my actual experience.